Thursday, December 10, 2009

Martha Stewart Step Aside. . .

No I didn't commit insider trading fraud, but I am now quite the accomplished seamstress.
The other day Jeff and I were at Costco, and we only had 320$ of items in the cart. Now we all know Costco doesn't let you out of there without 500$ spent. So we started to walk the isles in search of another 180$ off stuff we can't live without. I stumbled upon a sewing machine, showed Jeff, and he loaded it in the cart. I think he secretly will buy anything if he thinks it will occupy me and then he can have some peace and quite. I am like the annoying 2 year old- you buy them every toy, movie, computer game, and book ever invented just hoping they will leave you alone and you don't have to feel guilty about telling them, "LEAVE ME ALONE". So we got it.
The next morning I went to WalMart and knowing they have a 100$ minimum, I loaded the cart with one of everything for the sewing isle. And headed home. Now I had no idea how to sew, I knew nothing, so I read the Owners Manual from cover to cover. Jeff enjoyed about 2 hours of silence. There is a lot of good information in there- like you have to make a bobbin to sew. Why don't they just come with every spool of thread? Weird I know.
So after laughing a lot and making a huge mess in our bedroom/sewing room (all by myself). . .I emerged 3 hours later and proudly presented my first accomplishment to Jeff. He was busy working in his office, but the sight of such a beautiful, exquisite, one of a kind handicraft got his attention. He wasn't sure how to respond. Luckily he played along- took some great action pictures and acted like a very proud husband.
Behold!!!

The Action Photo

And these are the finished Christmas Stockings I presented to Michelle and Eric after another 4 hours of work. I was beaming with pride, they were looking for a place to hang them where no one else would see them.

So. . .2 hrs of reading and set up + 3 hrs on 1st stocking, +2 hrs on 2nd stocking, and 2 more hours worth of finishing touches= 9 hrs!
Now 180 for the machine + 100 dollars worth of WalMart Stuff = 280$
280$/9hrs = 31.11
And that is the amount per hour my husband will pay for peace and quiet.

8 comments:

Miller Family said...

Wow Jen, I'm impressed with your skills. Maybe you could teach me some stuff. Although Jason says I have to take a sewing class before I get a sewing machine...jerk :) It may have something to do with my habit of picking up hobbies and dropping them halfway through my first project.

Ali said...

I love this post. This sewing machine will change your life! I'm sure in just another month, that rate per hour will have decreased a little more. And I think it's a brilliant idea to have a bobbin come with every spool! I hate threading bobbins. One note, always make sure you thread the bobbin with the same type (thickness) of thread you thread the needle with otherwise your machine may jam up! I spent HOURS trying to figure that one out and then called me Mom and she gave me that tip.

...but you probably already read that in your manual :)

Laura said...

You are hilarious! Well done on the stockings...money well spent. :)

MiShelle said...

You are the funniest girl I know. Always so clever I tell you. I'm very much impressed with the sewing...every good wife should sew. I should look into it.

Emily said...

Sometimes I wonder why I like you so much. You get to go on all your little vacations without blinking an eye and you now have taken up sewing. You are a nerd and I love you :) You have inspired me to break out my 50yr old sewing machine...my grandma will be so proud! Will you please teach me?? P.S...you should get a job!

Eric and Michelle said...

Let's get one thing straight here... those stockings are DEAD SEXY and I LOVE THEM! I parade them around with pride. In fact, I'm appalled they were on your feet at one time... they are far to special to touch the ground... or those toes of yours!

Jenn Cranney said...

jen this is halarious! i actually laughed out loud! dude, you are so talented! I decided I was gonna make a carseat cover, four days later, i have an ok looking car seat cover, and had to call my friend every day and ask for an extension on her sewing machine! :) although, i didn't have the manual, i am probably professional by now. I made THREE and the third one doesn't look that bad! :) i'm a proud momma for ya jen! GOOD JOB!

DeGrey Family said...

That is Amazing and FUNNY!!!! Good job I'm very proud of you. I don't know the first thing about sewing.