So my name is Jen Lee. It is not really a name, but more of a strange noise. . . gentlee, chen lee. . . it is impossible to know what I am saying when I introduce myself.
I recently started a new job in an endoscopy center. If you don't know what an endoscopy center is, well, you will know all too well when you turn 50. And people like me who work there, will know you in a way very few know you (if any). So don't worry about the fact that I work in an endoscopy center, it is irrelevant. Just know that due to the job, we sometimes find ourselves enjoying some off color humor. Which off color humor seems to be a real talent of mine.
So during my first week of work, I found out one of my coworkers named Narv (short for Narvel, yes that is his name, he is a white American. There is no further explanation for this name, his parents just named him this) had a nickname for me. Instantly I was horrified to even try to imagine what he had come up with.
When I was 18 one of my best friends used to ask me, "Jen what if your middle name was Itals?". Now if you don't get the joke just say jen itals a few times, or if you are a visual learner, replace the j with a g. I probably laughed for days about it. This type of humor is right up my ally.
So obviously at work when I found out someone had come up with a nickname for me I freaked out thinking, "These guys probably are calling me jen itals behind my back". So to break the ice and let them know they were not pulling one over on me, I told them my itals story. Apparently I was way off base. Narv had given me the nickname of General Lee. But this story about "what if my middle name were itals" really broke the ice, especially since I was telling it to a room full of strangers.
Unfortunately a doctor (mind you-he chooses to do these procedures for a living-obviously he has a sick and twisted sense of humor) added another nickname for me, "Jenny (I go by Jenny there) what if your middle name were Tallia?" This is name is far more legit in the real word. My parents totally could have named me Jenny Tallia!
Now bear with me, and you will get where I am going with this. . .you know how some girls are described as being leggy, or hippy, or chesty. What if I were described as being Jenny Tallia Lee?
Suddenly I feel a lot better about my name sounding like a noise.
1 comment:
You are so freaking funny. Oh man. i'm calling you...
Post a Comment