March 13 insurance kicks in from my new job.
March 16 Jeff gets injured at Airborne.
March 17. . .
The day we are celebrating Ezra's Birthday. Also the day after the injury. And, although it had been 18 hours since injury, Jeff is still sitting on the couch. In fact, he is sitting in the exact same spot on our couch that Lance, our ox strong neighbor, deposited him on after he carried him into the house. So after baking a couple cakes for the party Jeff and I head for the ER to take a look at Jeff's injury. First x rays were read by the radiologist saying he was fine. Luckily the ER doctor was not convinced and ordered a CT. After the CT and before we knew the results of it, I readied Jeff for discharge, we had a party to get to (well at this point we had already missed a lot of it, but we were hoping to catch just the last bit). The nurse came in and told us that the CT result showed lots of fractures and that the Dr. was talking with some Ortho docs to see what to do. I have no patience, so after another half hour of waiting I head to the nurses station to find out what the hold up is ( we had been there for four and a half hours). As I am approaching the nurses station I hear the doc say, "Room 5 is taking an ambulance to Saint Marks, get him ready and call report he needs surgery". I slowly turn around to look back at what number Jeff was in. . . sure enough room 5. What the!!! As calmly as possible I said, "Are you talking about my husband?" I'm pretty sure it sounded confrontational, I was trying not to be overly aggressive, but apparently you cannot sign Jeff up for surgery without talking to me first. I lost the fight, Jeff was loaded and sent up to Saint Marks.
Apparently Jeff has a broken his hip. A broken hip. Who breaks their hip before the age of 80? I was so perplexed I just kept asking the Dr. if he was sure he had to be hospitalized.
So here is Jeff at Saint Marks where he is awaiting reconstruction surgery for his right hip. Bless his heart.
How do you break your hip?
As Jeff explains, "You forget you are 38, overweight, and not Superman." As I explain, "Or you miss the foam pit when do a gainer and land on your knees on the ground. That apparently can break your hip".
Jeff has been really tough and not complained at all. It is convenient that Jeff is now living at my work. It is like a bonus for my lunch break, and sometimes I can just stay at the hospital all night and then go back to work in the morning."
And after I calmed down after hearing the news, and Jeff's sister Lori called around to find a good Dr. to do the surgery, I am feeling much better.
Jeff in the ER. . .
Jeff at Saint Marks.
The silver lining. Jeff's parents are here and are to the rescue with watching over Ezra through the craziness. This is what I found them doing when I ran back in the house to grab the camera before I took Jeff to the ER. Yes this picture is indeed a picture of Jeff's mother, standing on my kitchen table, straightening out the light over the table. And Jeff's dad, of course, telling Charlene how to do it. They are the blessing, the rescue team. So far my favorite part of the experience was Jeff going into the ER with a walker. Jeff's friend Lance (the one carried him into the house), realized Jeff had some major problems (and probably didn't want to carry him out to the car) brought it over. The ER staff was laughing so hard. Then when they all found out it was a broken hip they were in awe that he was up and moving around. I am married to one tough stud.
Jeff's favorite part: (jeff -me-writing this) - This is a tough one, between the constant drugs, getting violated today by my senior aged nurse, going to the bathroom while sitting in bed watching tv,seeing how well a suppository works... it's hard to pick just one-but the clear winner is how good my own executive nurse is- Jen is the best. Makes me appreciate and love her even more than ever!
4 comments:
Are you SERIOUS??? I swear this could only happen to Jeff. When is the surgery? How long is the recovery? Poor guy!! Poor wife!! I hope Jeff recovers quickly. What a great birthday (said very sarcastically) :)
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...at least the benefits kicked in! That is a crazy story, that I would only believe because we know you! hope things go well
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff! My, my, my. There's an easier way to get Jen to play Doctor! Good Grief!!!! Hope you get feeling better soon. As per usual, unfortunately I did get a huge laugh at your expense. You guys are the funniest couple I know. Jeff does the stunts and Jen blogs them. It's a great duo.
good luck on the recovery man! Jen, you should take this opportunity to share some of the other near-death experiences Jeff has had - prior to married life - or are those a secret Jeff? best of luck. you are good hands with Charlene... not so sure about Brent ;)
Post a Comment